We’re organizing six-day group tours to see Albania’s famous lagoons. This tour is mainly focused on bird-watching and nature! It is definitely designed for those with a love of the outdoors but we will indeed visit other points of interest that don’t have to do with birds or fauna. The group will have a maximum of 12 participants and we’ll only run it if we will manage to get a minimum of 4 participants.
Please keep in mind that the itinerary will be flexible in order to allow for the best viewings but we do generally know where we’ll be staying each night (see below.) From there we can make the best plans for you according to conditions and interests. Our local ornithology specialists will lead us through the best areas and we’ll make sure it’s in the peak of the newborn season when activity among the resident bird communities is at its highest!
We are consistently amazed by all the new things learned and by the enthusiasm of our amazing friends from Karavasta, one of the most famous parks in Albania. Albanian Trip and PPNEA are trying to promote and preserve Divjaka as well as trying to help local communities get stronger. Quite close to Tirana and central Albania, this is a great place to visit – it’s the Kingdom of the Curly Pelican of Albania!
Please keep in mind that we also have a Day Trip
we offer of bird watching.
An extension to the tour can be definitely discussed for groups or individual tours and we can add the historical, artistic and culinary sides of Albania and the region, too!
- Meet in Tirana in the morning.
- Dinner and overnight in Tirana.
- Visits of Tirana downtown and the Nature History Museum. Drive to Karavasta. Overnight in Divjaka beach right in the middle of the protected park.
- Early start with bird-watching and visits of the lagoon and the sites with high activity of birds, fauna and flora. Meals and overnight in Divjaka.
- Transfer to the region of Vlora. Bird-watching in the Lagoon of Narta. Overnight in a city hotel in Vlora.
- Day spent in the surroundings of Orikum for bird-watching and visits of the lagoon. Visits of the archaeological site of Orik. Overnight in Berat.
- Visits of the very fine UNESCO site of Berat.
- Depart for Tirana for flight home or transfer elsewhere (we’d be happy to discuss this!)
759.0 Euros/per person (single supplement 99.0 euros/person). For groups larger than 5 we are happy to discuss a more ‘civilized’ price.
Payment Options: We accept bank transfers, PayPal and we have a debit terminal/POS available at our Castle Kiosk Tourist Office in order to accept Debit, VISA and Mastercard payments (please keep in mind that 5% of the total will be added for the latter option.) We can also accept cash payments where applicable.
- All expenses for your guides/driver.
- Fuel and AC car rental.
- Park entrance fees.
- Local taxes.
- 5 Nights in Standard double rooms in charming small local hotels.
- All Breakfasts and dinners
- VAT and tourist tax
This tour is designed for those who have 2 days free. From Tirana, it takes about three hours to get to Gjirokaster and it is definitely worth spending the night – there are many things to see and do! You can let us know the days that you are coming and we can go from there. Afterwards, we can either take you back to Tirana or on to another destination (which we can discuss! We are flexible.) Gjirokaster is beautiful and unique – it shouldn’t be missed.
If you don’t know about Ismail Kadare’s works or life yet (he is our most famous author, born here in Gjirokaster), let us recommend some of his books before you come! Start with his popular Chronicle in Stone and/or The General of the Dead Army – neither of which have been difficult for past visitors to order online in English. They have excellent translations and some have in-depth biographies which help explain his complex mind and life situation (he lived through many tragic events.) He paints a story of 20th century Albania like no other author has, and nowhere can this history come to life better than in Gjirokaster!
- Depart Tirana early in the morning for Gjirokaster (approx. 3 hour drive.) Thanks to who knows who, we can profit from the substantial improvement of road infrastructure between the two towns! We will happily stop for a bathroom break or coffee on the way.
- Check into a charming boutique family hotel.
- Tour of the Old Town. Visit the beautifully located Castle and the Weapon Museum. Then head to the Bazaar.
- Enjoy a delicious traditional meal in the romantic atmosphere of the “stone town” and its wonderfully preserved Ottoman era homes. (We can suggest some great dishes to try here!)
- Visit the neighbourhoods and some of the more than 600 houses and buildings that give Gjirokaster the reputation of being a town of unique legends, witches, dragons and “crazy alleys.” (Enver Hoxha’s birthplace is also here, just to add to the mystique.)
- There is an option to make a trip to the corners that Kadare mentions in his books. We will comment on his works and have some deeper discussions on some of the imagery in his writing (which will be easy to imagine walking through his birthplace!) We can be flexible – if you have studied him well, just let us know what you know and we’ll try to design a tour around your readings.
- Overnight in Gjirokaster.
- Next day return to Tirana or on to another destination
Price and Information:
This tour is offered as a private tour only!
Please use this contact form
to sign up – it will provide us with all the information we need from you including your pick-up address, number of people, date and any special requirements.
Private tours are slightly more expensive and can be done any day of the year according to your needs. For private tours we can offer pick-ups in Tirana or from another spot like Durres (the price will change if the pick-up is outside of Tirana.)
The private prices for this tour are:
1 person: 380 Euros
2 people: 199 Euros per person
3 people: 179 Euros per person
4 people: 169 Euros per person
For more than 5 people we will discuss with you personally what the tour will cost!
This price includes the hotel room and is based on double occupancy. For a single room supplement we will add 40 Euros.
The price will include:
- All expenses for your guide/driver.
- Fuel and AC car rental.
- Entrance fees.
- Local taxes.
- Transfers back to Tirana or to next destination.
- One night in a charming boutique hotel.