The Gjirokastra & Kadare Tour – Day Trip or Weekend Trip
- Depart Tirana early in the morning for Gjirokaster (approx. 3 hour drive.) Thanks to who knows who, we can profit from the substantial improvement of road infrastructure between the two towns! We will happily stop for a bathroom break or coffee on the way.
- Tour of the Old Town. Visit the beautifully located Castle and the Weapon Museum. Then head to the Bazaar.
- Enjoy a delicious traditional meal in the romantic atmosphere of the “stone town” and its wonderfully preserved Ottoman era homes. (We can suggest some great dishes to try here!)
- Visit the neighbourhoods and some of the more than 600 houses and buildings that give Gjirokaster the reputation of being a town of unique legends, witches, dragons and “crazy alleys.” (Enver Hoxha’s birthplace is also here, just to add to the mystique.)
- Depart back for Tirana or on to another destination of your choosing (we can certainly discuss your plans!)
- Depart for Gjirokaster from Tirana (approx. 3 hour drive.)
- Check into a charming boutique family hotel.
- On this tour we will combine visiting all of the sites mentioned in the 1-Day itinerary above over a two day period with trips to some of the corners that Kadare mentions in his books. We will comment on his works and have some deeper discussions on some of the imagery in his writing (which will be easy to imagine walking through his birthplace!) We can be flexible – if you have studied him well, just let us know what you know and we’ll try to design a tour around your readings.
- Overnight in Gjirokaster.
- Next day return to Tirana or on to another destination.
We can discuss this depending on which tour is chosen about and the amount of people with your group! Contact us to get the conversation going.
The price will include:
- All expenses for your guide/driver.
- Fuel and AC car rental.
- Entrance fees.
- Local taxes.
- Transfers back to Tirana or to next destination.
- If taking the 2-Day tour, one night in a charming boutique hotel.