The Gjirokaster Tour- Two Day Trip
- Depart Tirana early in the morning for Gjirokaster (approx. 3 hour drive.) Thanks to who knows who, we can profit from the substantial improvement of road infrastructure between the two towns! We will happily stop for a bathroom break or coffee on the way.
- Check into a charming boutique family hotel.
- Tour of the Old Town. Visit the beautifully located Castle and the Weapon Museum. Then head to the Bazaar.
- Enjoy a delicious traditional meal in the romantic atmosphere of the “stone town” and its wonderfully preserved Ottoman era homes. (We can suggest some great dishes to try here!)
- Visit the neighbourhoods and some of the more than 600 houses and buildings that give Gjirokaster the reputation of being a town of unique legends, witches, dragons and “crazy alleys.” (Enver Hoxha’s birthplace is also here, just to add to the mystique.)
- There is an option to make a trip to the corners that Kadare mentions in his books. We will comment on his works and have some deeper discussions on some of the imagery in his writing (which will be easy to imagine walking through his birthplace!) We can be flexible – if you have studied him well, just let us know what you know and we’ll try to design a tour around your readings.
- Overnight in Gjirokaster.
- Next day return to Tirana or on to another destination
The price will include:
- All expenses for your guide/driver.
- Fuel and AC car rental.
- Entrance fees.
- Local taxes.
- Transfers back to Tirana or to next destination.
- One night in a charming boutique hotel.